Aveen Bannon’s Top 10 Weaning Tips
Aveen Bannon, R.D & Consultant Nutritionist shares her Top 10 Weaning Tips to help you on your journey.
- A baby's energy and nutrient needs exceed what is provided with breast or formula milk and so this is the time to start introducing complementary foods.
- Continue to breast-feed on demand or give formula milk (600-600 mls) daily when weaning.
- Always stay with baby when he or she is eating.
- Never put rusks, cereals or other food into the bottle.
- Encourage your baby to drink from a beaker from 6 months. Best drinks for babies under one are breast milk, water or infant formula.
- Bottles should be discouraged after the age of one year.
- Introduce savoury purées before sweet. e.g vegetables before fruits
- Babies who start weaning at 6 months should progress quickly from purée to thicker, smooth purées without lumps.
- Including two 30g servings of oily fish (salmon, mackerel, trout) in a baby's weekly diet from about 7 months will help baby meet their Omega-3 requirements.
- A child needs to try a taste/flavour 12 times before they know they like the food so don't be put off by facial expressions!